If you enjoy Caribbean food then this is the recipe for you. Lovely spicy jerk chicken with flavoursome rice and peas perfect for summer or winter.
- 1 tbsp Spicentice Jamaican Jerk Chicken spice mix, from Asda, Budgens and selected Sainsbury’s
- 150g full-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 free-range skin-on chicken thighs
- 250ml coconut milk
- Kidney beans
- 180g long grain or basmati rice
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Very Lazy Red Chillies, or similar
- Mango chutney to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and heat a lightly oiled griddle pan. Stir the jerk spice mix into the yogurt in a bowl, then season. Add the chicken and turn to coat generously. Griddle the chicken for 5 minutes on each side until nicely charred. Transfer to a foil-lined baking tray and roast for 15 minutes or until cooked.
- Meanwhile, pour the coconut milk into a pan, then add 160ml cold water and the rice and kidney beans. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Stir through the coriander, then season to taste. Divide between bowls and scatter over the chilli. Top with the chicken, with mango chutney on the side.
Enjoy Janet Lefton